RE: [at-l] The nastiest winter camping

Does it have to involve camping?

When I was in North Dakota I used to hunt a lot. One of my favorite areas
was the Sheyenne River near Coopperstown, ND. I remember tracking a large
buck for two miles one morning at -20F...with a bow.

If work counts, how about -60F for 8 hours in the middle of the night with
wind chill hovering around -110F? (Only in the military are such things
possible, in any sane world we would have been snug in our beds.)

Of course, then there was the 10 hours stuck in a blizzard on US 2 less than
a mile west of Grand Forks. In a pick up. With six people. At -110F
including wind chill. No bathroom. After 3 pots of coffee. No, you can't go
outside at that temperature, it'll freeze off before you're finished, and
that's if you're a guy, two of the six were women!

Hey Turtle, you still out there? Tell 'em all about cold weather...

Lee I Joe

To:            "'Cricket'" <D_Blick@email.msn.com>, <at-l@backcountry.net>