Re: [at-l] About White Lies

At 06:40 PM 11/22/2000 -0800, sly@pocketmail.com wrote:
>Unless you're in the very best of shape, 8 miles a day is about max
>carrying a full pack.  The Whites are a tremendous workout, but well worth
>the effort.

I agree

>Mid September's a good time 'cuz half the huts are closed and you wont
>have to deal with the crowds they bring (although you can expect to see
>many people). Not only that, if you forgo the huts you wont have to sit
>through the silly little skits they do.

C'mon now, where's your sense of humor?  :-]  The skits are fun and help
bring folks, who haven't hiked together for 1900 miles, together.

>Bring cold weather gear for sure, you could get lucky and see some serious
>New England weather, but expect glorious days no matter what! Stealth camp
>whenever possible (there's usally an "outlaw" sight  a 1/4 mile before or
>after an official AMC fee area) or use the campsites or shelters.

Sly, do you know how many thousand hikers use the White Mountains per
year?  Can you imagine how much human waste is left behind?  The $6 tent
site fees are to help defray the cost of a caretaker who's main job is to
process and control the composting of human waste in the privies.  Surely,
one who's spent hundreds of dollars on backpacking equipment can afford $6
a shot for four to six nights in such a glorious setting.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion.  Here's my response sent
privately to Gary:

>It is that time of year when prudent employees give their employers
>their leave plans. And I am wondering if this isn't the year to do the
>Whites. So...
>
>Some questions:
>
>1. What is the best time to do the Whites? Ms Gorp told me late July.
>What do others think? Mara? And especially, what conditions could I
>expect next Labor Day, in early September? Will I need fleece in
>September?

Gary, I live virtually at the base of Mt. Moosilauke.  I've hike the White
Mountains all seasons of the year except winter primarily b/c during the
winter I had a ski racing team.  If you like Fall colors, the last two
weeks of September can be spectacular.  Fleece?  For sure, and a 20 degree
bag.  It can snow hard in the Whites in September.  I was on Mt. Lafayette
on June 16 and it was 38 degrees inside Greenleaf hut.

>2. North to South or South to North? Why?

My choice is south to north, from Mt. Moosilauke onward.  Don't miss
Moosilauke!  Reasons:   above the tree line, views, history, the climb down
into Lost River, Beaver Brook shelter just after leaving tree line before
steep descent [don't miss it], good access, nice hostel to begin with
[Hikers Welcome Hostel in Glencliff.]

>3. How far? 6 easy days would be Franconia Notch to Gorham, say 75 miles.
>Or I could go for 100 miles and try Glencliff to Gorham.

Do this!  If you don't you'll regret not seeing and climbing Moosilauke and
Kinsman.

>I expect to use
>a week with both weekends and need to get there (from Northern by God
>Virginia), get a shuttle, hike and get home.  I usually go 15+ miles per
>day but I understand that the trail there is felt by some to be steep in
>places. Climbing out of Franconia Notch looks worse than anything I have
>done so far in 1400 miles of AT. Is 14 miles/day reasonable? My dry
>summer pack weight is 15 pounds w/o food.

Pack weight is great!  14 is possible if you are in super AT thru-hiking
shape.  Otherwise consider 10 or less.  Besides, savor the flavor.  Wait
for a break in the weather to get the views.

>4. What do you all think my hut strategy should be? I aint rich but
>neither am I broke, and I am mostly thinking in terms of the quality of
>the hike.  Would I be better to do almost all huts (say Zealand Falls
>Hut to Mizpah Hut to Madison Hut to Carter Notch Hut to Gorham) or few
>huts (say Garfield Ridge CS to Ethan Pond CS to Lakes of the Clouds Hut
>to Pinkham Notch Camp to Imp CS to Gorham)?

I would combine tent sites and huts.  I would stay at Mizpah's Nauman tent
site, Lake of the Clouds hut, Madison hut, and go off the AT to stay at
Greenleaf Hut just below Mt. Lafayette.  The new hut at Garfield must be
experienced.  Otherwise, the tent sites [know that they are on platforms
and cost 6 dollars / person primarily to take care of the biggest problem
in the White Mountain system, human waste.]

>5. Any huts to avoid? Any not to miss?

All the huts are of the highest standard and the croos are great folks.

>6. I know huts provide Din and Breakfast but do they also provide a
>hiker oriented lunch? The nice thing about hut resupply is the resultant
>low pack weight.

No lunch, although it's not unusual to scavenge some stuff

>7. Is there a place to stay near Crawford Notch? With a ride?

There's a great hostel which is full of thru-hikers and other backpackers.

>8. Any reasonable resupply options? Remember, a section hiker with
>limited time cannot spend too much time getting to a store.

Resupply in N. Woodstock/ Lincoln, and Gorham - plus rides are easy to get
- AMC shuttles are available - call me:  802-626-9085 [my home after
retirement before the AT thru-hike - although I may be hiking the Long
Trail in September.]

>9. Is there safe (Ha!) parking at the road crossing near Gorham? At
>Franconia Notch? In Glencliff? Do you have to pay a fee to park?
>Can I park at Pinkham Notch so I can use the AMC shuttle system?

Yes, to all.  All major trail heads in the White Mountain system
[AMC]  have video cameras.  Know that you must pay a fee for a WMNF
pass.  They can be obtained in many places.  Call the US Forest service.

>10. Anything else I should be thinking about? What have I forgotten?

You'll have a wonderful experience.  Be aware that winter conditions can
occur at any time in the Whites.  Some folks have scoffed at this, and have
have gotten in trouble.  September is a transitional month.  But it is my
favorite.  I include a photo taken on the last week of September.  Don't
hesitate of get in touch with me.

marty aka rusty [near Glencliff but soon [next July] to retire to my home
in Lyndon Center, VT.]

Rev. Martin R. Fors
Grace United Methodist Church - 151 years on Main Street
198 N. Main St., POB 726
Bradford, Vermont 05033
USA

mailto:revmrf@together.net  or mailto:revmrf@bigfoot.com