Re: [at-l] New on the list

Orange Bug wrote:

> RE: Stoves. Alcohol stoves are much cheaper and lower tech. There could
> be some problems finding ethanol (denatured or grain) on the AT in many
> towns. Cartridge stoves occasionally have similar problems, but not
> often. Alcohol tends to burn cooler, and may not be a good choice in
> winter hiking. For that matter, many cartridge stoves may have low
> pressure in winter hiking. Good ole' white gas stoves are more reliable
> in such situations, although much heavier.

Thanks for the info.  Also, I notice they're cheap but kind of hard to
find.

> RE: Hills of North Carolina. Which ones did you grow near? Tell us
> about your hiking experiences!

I grew up in Brevard, near Asheville.  I know the region around there
(Looking Glass Rock, Shining Rock Wilderness, Black Balsams, Cold Mountain
of recent literary fame; I know where there's a WWII plane crash on the
north side) pretty well.  Also spent time in the Smokies, up around Mt.
Mitchell, a bit on the AT, though not a lot. Also hiking and a bit of
climbing in Linville Gorge.  But it's been about 22 years; some of the
springs might have dried up by now.  I miss being a 30 minute drive from
pretty deep in the woods, but, hey, we do what we gotta.

Rick Bohan

To:            "Rick Bohan" <bohan19@idt.net>, <at-l@backcountry.net>