Re: [at-l] laces and knots

Gime

You going to be at the PA Ruck?

If so, I'll show you what I do. I'm not good at putting it into words.

Do you know the difference between a reef knot (a.k.a a square knot) and a
granny?  If not, check
http://www.realknots.com/knots/reefk.htm#Xplatteknoop. If so, be sure your
laces' bow is based on a square knot with loops for ears, not based on a
granny.

Next do you know a surgeon's knot?  It looks like a square knot with extra
turns.  The Surgeon's Knot is a modified form of the reef knot, and the
extra turn taken in the first tie (overhand knot) prevents slipping before
the knot is completed.  You can also add an extra turn in the second tie.
See http://sutures.ussurg.com/knot-tying/content.html.  The first picture is
a reef knot; the second, a single Surgeon's; and the third, a dbl.  Some
describe this version as "an elaborated form of the square knot; it is
composed of two overhand knots turned in opposite ways but with an
additional twist taken after the first overhand is tied. This allows the
parts of the rope to be held in place by friction until the second overhand
is tied. The knot derived its name from its surgical use in tying a ligature
around a cut artery."

I base my laces bow on a double style surgeon's knot, keeping loops in the
bight (or end).   If I'm really serious about the not coming un-knotted, I
tie an overhand knot in the loops.

Chainsaw