Re: [at-l] Wilderness (was shelters)

At 05:00 AM 11/16/00 -0600, Paul Nickodem wrote:
>Leave it to Jim and Ginny to reinforce my point!
>It's all so true.  I've seen more wildlife three miles outside of Anchorage
>then in the 3600 miles or so I hiked on the AT and the PCT!

Ah...... Alaska.you lucky duck......

I've seen a greater variety of animals dead on the roads than I've seen hiking.
Seen as many bears hanging around the cabin as I've been able to find in the
woods (and I used to spend a lot of time searching them out till I learned
that
they grow to 700+lbs here in PA <g>!)  Never saw a fox on te Trail but there
are two kinds living within 2mi of our house.  Never saw a coyote except on
the road in
front of our house and on the grounds of a nuclear power plant.
Never heard a bobcat except within a mile of a house.  Seen 100X the deer on
day hikes within 1 mile of the county seat than ever on a real trail.  Seen
wild turkeys
maybe 2 doz times on the Trail but have 2 dozen of them pecking around my
car right now.
The only animal I've ever seen exclusively on a trail are porkies and that
was always
at established campsites.

At least in PA, I don't see wildlife equating wilderness.

To:            AT-list <at-l@backcountry.net>