Re: [at-l] Mice are all around

I hate the critters!

only the second hike I ever did.  I spent the night at laurel shelter in
the smokies.  i had spent a long time preparing gorp for this trip.  I
hadn't set my pack down for 5 minutes.  really.  when I had to chase one
out of the ziplock.

then there was the time at mollies ridge in the middle of winter.  so
cold i had to cover myself with my emergency blanket to keep warm. (i
use a 0* down mummy bag)  those da** critters didn't stop for 5 minutes
running on top of that tarp.   Not to mention the one big one that left
surprises in my boots for me to find in the am.

then there was the time at spence field.  I was trying out my new
pack.   they were almost as active as the previous incident.   When I
woke up the next morning, my maps were all gone.  eaten.  the next
morning, when I reached in the pack for my coffee, pre dawn light mind
you, at least 7 of them scrambled out.  I later discovered they had
taken those maps and built a nest in the bottom of my pack.  and also
managed a few holes in the canvas.  I always hang my food.  which they
did not touch.

of course there was the time at tricorner knob when i got even.  you
animal rights types may not want to read on :).  it was xmas day.  it
had to be 15* F with snow everywhere. I was stuck there for a couple of
days until the storm lifted.   it was beautiful.  and guess what?  no
mice!!  I guessed it was too cold for them.  I was right.  I saw one.
one.  it was trying to drag 1/4 th of a snickers bar back into its ice
cave. I have no idea where the candy came from.   I have never seen an
animal shake so bad.  it had no strength at all.  You almost had to feel
sorry for the critter.  but, then I remembered all the bad times. I just
smiled.   I wonder what ever happened to him.  ;)

So, there you go.   next time I shelter, I'm calling the exterminator
1st.  I also prefer to tent.  and, they've never bothered my there.  now
the bigger crits are a different story.

t.

To:            at-l@backcountry.net