Re: [at-l] Wussy Ankles

Kahley,

I think it's hard to "strengthen" ankles - especially to prevent the
sideways stress that occurs during a misstep.

Until 3 weeks ago, I had never worn boots on a hike.  I always wore
tennis'running shoes.  I never hurt my ankles and liked the light weight.
However, because of an ankle injury a few years ago (basketbal) I figured I
needed something with more support.  I considered the "hiking" tennis shoes
but decided to get some real boots.  I wore them on my hike between Woody
Gap and Neels Gap.

THEY ARE HEAVY!! Clomp Clomp Clomp!  No stealth hiking here.  However - the
high tops kept a lot of debris out of my shoes and the heavy soles were
great for the rocks.  They definitely help support-wise in that the leather
underneath my ankle prevents my ankle from "turning" nearly as far as my
running shoes did.  I may still switch to the hiking-type tennies but I'll
give the boots a few more tries.

Charles