[at-l] 2 years...

Two years ago yesterday I was turning down a trip to a warm house, a hot
shower and free food...so I could hike 6 more miles, mostly after dark,
to be with Groovin' Moose. Ahhhh, it was worth it, I guess. I remember
thinking as I was looking at the lights in the valley from the overlook
on Hightop Mt. "Hmmm, which house would I have been in right now?" It
was a cold one that night. Mid-20's, I believe. That brings us to two
years ago today. Not much happened. There was a fire ban in the
Shenandoah N.P. Moose Boy and I hiked to Blackrock Hut. Again, the last
couple of hours were after dark. Is it always dark in November? Later
that night, Macchu Pichu and Huayna showed up. They had hiked a 30 to
catch us. They had stopped at one of the parking lot/road crossings to
cook dinner, just after dark, and were questioned by a ranger. When he
found out that they were thru-hikers, he told them to be careful with
fires. I don't think they actually thought that the thru-hikers were
going to not use their stoves. (There was a situation that a burning
cigarette, out side of a vehicle or building, was illegal.) It was good
to see the Canucks again. It was always good to see the Canucks.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98

To:            at-l@backcountry.net