[at-l] re: what plant

<<  Actually I think it looks like a fungus or shroom with a leaf stuck to
it. >>

Nope.  I had gotten up close and looked at it, carefully at the time.  That
spike is precisely the plant, no broken off parts at all.  The leaves were
merely a "bonus," courtesy of the shrubs/trees around the area, as you
suggest.

It was white, with pinkish hues, and it seemed to have a scaley, light "bark"
on it from which the spike appears to have emerged (or perhaps, the *bark*
was peeling away from the spike?).  It *did* have a texture of a mushroom
stem, however -- only firmer and smoother, almost like an Indian Pipe
(monotropa).    There were absolutely no others around it -- that had been
the only one.

Trailmixup
(Ready)

To:            <at-l@backcountry.net>