RE: [at-l] the vote

You could make the argument that an adherent to a political party is aware
of its platform, philosophies and values, (is using political party and
values in the same sentence an oxymoron?), and simply pulling a party lever
is NOT  necessarily an act of laziness.  Of course, that belief is
predicated on trusting that the candidate is loyal to the party.

This actually brings up an interesting question - "Why do candidates think
they were elected?"

A - "The people elected me to serve as their mouthpiece and I represent the
will of the majority"
B - "The people elected me as member of my party and expect me to adhere to
party line"
C - "The people elected me because they trust my judgment and values and I
will act accordingly, regardless of the majority or the party"

A, B, or C, all could be potentially valid.