Re: [at-l] Intro and food question.

Not a vegetarian, but there are reasons to consider meat as part of a
trail diet. Meat is challenging to bring due to risk of contamination
and infection, hence drying, salting, smoking, fermenting and other
means of preservation are important.

The important factors of meat are protein (component amino acids) and
calcium (often bone fragments are part of the jerkies and sausages we
take to the woods). While many vegies to contain ample proteins,
adequate calcium and essential amino acids for repair and growth of
muscle mass are vital. It is possible to maintain these AA's via
supplements or trail town binging, but this probably makes life more
difficult than advisable. Dairy products (including butter and cheeses)
will help with calcium and much protein, as well as with fat calories.
Yet these are not necessarily adequate for repair and growth of human
muscle and bone from the extreme stress of long distance hiking and
load management.

That is not to say that meat is essential in each meal or even daily.
Nor is it to be critical of vegetarian hikers and advocates. Nor are
farm animals the only source of meat, as fish can have a very helpful
role (I personally carry tuna and salmon jerky). I simply think that
there is a role for meat in our trail diets, much as there is a role
for electrolyte supplements in our hydration strategies.

Bill.....