Re: [at-l] Crawford Hostel in New Hampshire

Two things...

1st) Brian,  As someone(Mrs. Gorp?) already pointed out...  call AMC at
Pinkham Notch to find out how to address packages to the hostel.  Also, in
case you hadn't considered it, the hitch to the store near the intersection
of route 16 is just as "easy" as the hitch to the hostel.  All traffic
though that area tends to go through the whole way so if you prefer to shop,
there is a supermarket to the "east" to pick up food instead of (or in
addition to) the maildrop.  One more thing to consider...  the hostel is
closed during the day.  I think the caretaker is on staff starting at 4:00
or 5:00pm.  Pinkham Notch should be able to tell you.  If you get there
early, you'll probably have to wait.

2nd) Art, It seems all AT documentation assumes that as you are going north,
if you take a left off the trail, you are going west, and if you take a
right off the trail, you are going right.  302 does go n/s through the Notch
but for reference purposes, it's west to the hostel and east to the store.

I had no problems with this concept except in the White Mountains where I'm
just too familiar with the roads/trail/etc.  Of course we went south through
Zealand Notch on our northbound hike but very few NOBOs would agree with
that statement...  :-)))

Mara
Stitches, GAME99