Re: [at-l] Birmingham

B'ham is a strange place. It has everything that Atlanta has, only less
traffic. It also has 2 successful professional football teams, Auburn and
UofA. But there is no river or close mountain chain, other than the ridge
of Red Mt., dividing north and south, city and suburb.

You owe yourself the trip up the mountain to see and visit Vulcan. This is
one of those cultural icons that define the South, for good and ill. Trust
me on this one. You will find that instead of getting great clues on trails
near B'ham, you will get great advice on price fishing ponds for bass and
croppie. These are the sort of areas that do hide some decent trails.
Today's Atlanta Fish Wrapper has an article on scenic areas of northeastern
Alabama, focusing on a scenic route to Huntsville. De Soto Falls, Lake
Guntersville, and those areas are just as neat as northwest Georgia, with a
very different geography than east of I-75.

It is a good town to visit, gave me a good start with two gorgeous
daughters, and a greater appreciation of the breadth of Southern culture.
You will have fun.

OrangeBug