[at-l] Baxter Closing and 2000 reflections

The closing of Baxter State Park and The Big K are really a shame. I have a
couple thoughts on this and they seem to contradict one another.

On Aug 23 1998 when Hollywood and I climbed the Big K the weather was 70
degress at the base and sunny. We were aware that anything was possible on
top. But the rangers were calling it a class 3 day and unless we needed to
finish on this day we should reconsider the climb. We decided to climb on
with a gang of thru-hikers. As we neared the top it was windy and and fog
was thick and at times the fog was frozen and stung when it blew against
your face. But there was never a threat of anyones well being. Many
dayhikers also climbed that day without a hitch. So my thoughts here are the
rating system is a little strong and severe.

Now from Buzz's point of view. If I had lost one of staff mebers trying to
save a careless hiker I would probably be conservative also. Baxter State
Park is known to be the best run park in the nation. You dont get that
reputation from being easy. We should be glad that we have such a pristine
place to hike. Think of the Whites and how many people are killed there from
not listening to suggestions or rules.

Hikers Drinking and doing drugs until they puke comments. I agree with
whomever made the comment that most thru-hikers would not joepradize there
finishing by acting this way. But in lieu of the kind of problems the
hostels and different establishments had this season it might make sense.
For those of you dont remember or didn't hear. Hostels were trashed and town
parks had problems all season with hikers not respecting  alcohol rules etc.
The Doyle hotel had problems the PC hotel had holes kicked in walls. It has
been a rough and different season. So maybe the drinking was not last
weekend and was at another time.

Just  a few thoughts. Sorry for the long message.

The Mayor