Re: [at-l] Bivy advice

>tell me, a novice -- how do you dress/undress
using a bivy.
##### As an ex-Army Grunt it is just something I picked up and that is
dressing and undressing in my sleeping bag. I first started doing it on cold
winter nights in Korea, now that I think of it, I used the over bag one night
and went to sleep in the open. I was woke up by a fellow squad member, asking
me if I was still alive in there? I told him yes, why? As I poked my head out
of the bag I found about 6" of snow on me.
I remember being nice and warm in there and so still in side the bag I
slipped on my BDUs over my Army issue long johns and got up feeling well
rested.
BTW, the sky was clear and the stars in the cold crisp air where a sight to
behold in the Korean Mountains, and that is why I decided to sleep in the
open, not to brave the storm, which came later in the wee morning hours.

> where do you store your pack
during storms...
##### I use my pack cover, and you do have to be careful about how the water
is running on the piece of ground you decide to use as camp. Also my dog
carries a small nylon tarp for us to set up and cook under. Then he sleeps in
one corner at the foot and the pack with cover on is by my head. If it is
going to be nice out we don't bother with the tarp and just sleep in the open.
BTW, the dog also carries a small closed cell foam pad I have cut down to his
size for him to sleep on when the ground is cold.

mtn0613
(Doug)