[at-l] Mt Chocorua

    Had to test my knee this weekend with an Outing Club Hike up Mount
Chocorua in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.  I brought 4 kids with me
and another teacher - Glenn Carlson.  Saturday mornning We started from the
trailhead about 8:45 AM after a 1 1/2 hour ride from Gilmanton Iron Works,
NH.  There were only three cars in the parking lot.  I anticipated a perfect
day with great foliage, warm temperatures and few people on the trail.  About
2/3 of the way up the trail we met a gentleman coming down.  He said the
weather was perfect with great views.
    My knee was fine at this point but lack of exercise had me huffing.  We
continued up to the point were the trail broke out of the trees into the warm
sunshine.  Glorious views of the Whites from Mt. Moosilauke, Franconia ridge
to Mount Washington awaited us.  The presidentials had a ribbon of white
snow.  I could look toward Old Speck but the haze obscured it from view.
North Conway could be easily seen with Cranmore Ski area in the background.
    We took a 2 hour break at the Summit to enjoy the view and eat a lunch.
At about noon I turned to look north and discovered the trail we had hiked up
was covered with people.  By 12:30 the summit had over 100 people enjoying
the view and making a lot of noise.  Many people never made it to the top but
just sat down on the rocks to rest and soak up the rays.  Temps were in the
upper 70's.  Remarkable for northern New England in mid october.  More people
continued to climb to the summit.  We started down about 1:30.  My knee began
to complain.
    By the time we reached the parking lot my knee was pretty sore.  I could
walk but each step was painful.  I'm sure that after a few days of no hiking
I'll be back to normal.  I've got to find a way to hike without so much
discomfort.  But we all had an unexpected great day in the Whites.

                                            Art