[at-l] Fw: Freefall: last day of trip

----- Original Message -----
From: EJ Baker <itinerant_ej@yahoo.com

> On october 9th, monday, I summitted Katahdin.  It was a class 4 day
(meaning all paths above treeline officially closed due to a snow storm the
day before and an impending 7 inches more that day) but the trails seemed
clear and worth trying.  Though most hikers said they were given the
standard "you are climbing at your own risk and shouldn't be" lecture by
rangers, I had a more congenial experience--because snow was forecast soon,
I decided to hike up the abol path instead of the AT trail.  The abol trail
is an avalanche slide, much steeper than the other trails to the summit, but
also much quicker--about an hour less of a climb than the AT.  Because it is
a huge boulder field instead of a narrow ledge trail, it also seemed a bit
safer to Sweet Thang who was summitting with me--the day before she had
hiked partway up the AT but had stopped at hurd rock, panicked by a
difficult haul up a boulder on a narrow ledge.  The ranger at Abol
campground, instead of lecturing us about not hiking, just said "you know
paths are closed above treeline" and then spent the next 15 minutes with us
going over the merits of the Abol trail vs. the AT in face of the possible
weather.

> I started my climb at 8 am and was up by 10:30--the last few boulder
scrambles had been a bit tricky as the rocks became more snow and ice
covered, but it was an enjoyable climb.  I had the top to myself for about
20 minutes, then decided to go down since the fog had rolled in and snow
looked possible. 1/4th of the way back down, I met up with Sweet Thang and
Genesis (wasn't sure if they had stopped) and another hiker, and, with them,
summitted abol again and walked up to the summit sign on Baxter Peak.  The
mountain was covered in ice rime and snow, fog swirling around, then
suddenly lifting to reveal peaks below--Katahdin is truely a majestic
country--one of the most beautiful mountains I've been on so far.  The
weather was holding, so I decided to climb down the AT trail--much prettier
than the abol--and was very happy I'd done so.  I can't describe the trail
in any way that makes sense or does it justice.  Come see for yourself this
summer.

> On Tuesday it rained in Millinocket and snowed on the mountain.  The whole
park was closed, there were 4 foot drifts on top (they said over 17 inches)
and over 7 inches at the base.  Unless there is a spectacular melt by this
weekend, Monday will have been the last day to summit for those without
winter mountaineering gear and/or fortitude, luck and ranger blessing.

> On Wednesday I went back to Baxter to finish my final 9.5 miles between
Katahdin stream and abol bridge (I'd skipped ahead at abol so I could summit
in the good weather).  All hikers were being evacuated from camp grounds,
rangers were locking up for the winter and, I believe, I was possibly the
only hiker officially allowed to finish that day, and only because I was
going southbound.  The trail was snow and slush for the first 4 miles and
then pine duff and sunshine for the rest.  Katahdin shone in the background,
dusted from base to clouds in white.  I feel priviliged and blessed to have
been allowed by the mountain to finish (as if a mountain even cares what an
ant-like human does on it at all), as there are many thru-hikers still
waiting in Millinocket, hoping for a break in the weather.  My hike, for now
and for this path, is done.