Re: [at-l] Baxter Park

In a message dated 10/8/00 1:34:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jplynch@crosslink.net writes:

<< I'm thinking of a trip to Baxter Park sometime in early May  >>
Hi Jim
 I go to Baxter camping and hiking every May, August, and Sept. Been doing
that for almost twentyfive years. I'm up that way several other times a year,
too. I don't know much about public transportation except that the Greyhound
bus doesn't stop at Millinocket (stops at Medway, I think) and Katahdin Taxi
is one of the few ways to between Millinocket and Baxter.
 Roaring Brook is on the east side of the mountain, so it's trails up to the
peak open later than Katahdin Stream Falls on the sunny west side. The Park
opens for overnight camping May 15th, and about half the time that's too
early for the AT to be open to the summit. I think the AT has been open only
4 of the last 10 years that weekend.
 I'm heading up to the Park in January to make resevations and to snowshoe.
Let me know if there's any questions I can help you with.
TJ