[at-l] Rafting

Great foilageday for my Outing Club kids on a fast ride down the Deerfield
River in northern Mass.  We put in about 4 miles north of Zoar Gap.  Zoar was
a small town formed to support a crew building a large tunnel for railroad
passage through mountain just before the Civil War.
    I was the only person in our group of 12 that had experienced a white
water rafting trip, therefore, we decided to do an easy section of the river.
 There we several class 2 rapids and one great class 3 section called Zoar
Gap.  It was not very long but quite fast and steep.  Of course that is where
the photographers were set up to make it look like we spent every minute in
great rapids.
    Temps were low 50's but everyone got wet.  All of the kids in my raft
went into the river for a swim voluntarily.  Some of the group got pretty
cold but a stop for a quick lunch warmed them up.  Before the trip, I joked
with one of the girls that if your feet were cold you could always pee in
your wetsuit to warm them up.  When we got to the area she asked the Zoar
guides if it was true that people pee in the wetsuits.  The guide assured her
it was true but that the suits were dipped after each use to clean them.  She
was pretty squimish about getting into asuit but do you believe she was the
first to pee in her suit then told everyone what a great experience it had
been.  (She also, put her wetsuit onw backwards by accident - but I won't
memtion that.)
    Great trip.  Tons of tourists on Rt 2 - The Mohawk Trail - to see the
amazing fall foliage.  We are about 3 days away from peak color in Northern
Mass.  That makes us about 1 or 2 weeks behind previous foliage seasons.
    I'll be bringing another group to New Hampshire Next weekend to do some
hiking.  Hope to have a great day on Mt Chocorua Sat. 10/14/00.

                                                Art