[at-l] Searching for Partners for 2001

* Message posted to AT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Jaime Michaels  <jaimem@bcdc.ca.gov>.
* Please use <mailto:jaimem@bcdc.ca.gov> to reply to the sender.

I am a 39-year woman who plans to start at the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail in mid-April, 2001. I am an experienced hiker and backpacker having clocked many, many miles on local day hikes and many extended trips in California (mostly Sierra Nevada), Utah, and Washington. Starting next March, I will be taking a sabbatical from my job, and spending the year (from March 2001-March 2002) traveling the globe. It is my hope that this year-long trek will begin with the AT. My plan is to begin the hike at a somewhat moderate pace (about 10-15 miles per day) and build up—relatively quickly—to about 20-25 miles per day. It is my humble intention to complete the trail by mid- to late-August but I also recognize that even the smallest obstacle could change this plan. By nature, I am a very independent and capable person, and would be comfortable hiking the trail on my own. However, as  a native of the west, I have spent very little time in the Appalachian Mountains. Additionally, I’m a relatively social person and believe that the trip is partly about the people I meet along the way. That said, I would at least like to start the trip with another person or small group of people and hike together for a few days or weeks until a time when it feels comfortable to "move on." Anyone out there interested in this? Please get in touch with me by e-mail: jaimem@bcdc.ca.gov