Re: [at-l] bear stories

No bear stories from me, yet, along the AT, 'cept I saw a juvenile cross the road on my way to an AT section hike once.

In the Cohuttas I've seen bear 3 times in two trips.  I sat and watched a juvenile in the fall of last year as the sun set near Jack's River Falls on the banks of a side creek. We just looked at each other until it got dark. I heard him walking around that night, but he didn't give us any trouble. The next morning, I heard this crashing and saw the bushes moving in a straight line up river and away from our camp. Afterwards we ran across some campers who reported losing a back pack to the bear. They said they chased the bear and got the back pack back. I'm certain it was the same bear I observed the evening before.

Then there's the bear encounter I immortalized in a bit of haiku on this list last year ...

On 10/5/2000 at 10:20 AM Pat Villeneuve wrote:

>Got any? You know, the kind that really happened to you... (Maybe later
>we'll do the "I-know-a-guy-who" kind.)
>
>Give Me Chocolate
>
>* From the AT-L |  Need help? http://www.backcountry.net/faq.html  *

David Addleton