[at-l] Weathecarrot along for the ride

--09-25, 26,  27, & 28: FANNYPACK - Seattle trip report--
@@@@@  PCT thru-hikers at Rainey Pass @@@@@@

MON, 9-25:  did the Seattle Underground Tour, basically u were shown how
Seattle's business district was raised so the existing 1st floor became the
basement.  U can read more about Seattle's history in "Sons of Profits".  A
lazy day.
TUE, 9-26: Picked up Weathercarrot & Laura (PCT thru-hikers) and we drove to
Rainey Pass.  Arrived about 3pm..  We hiked south ebout 15 min. & camped.  4
thru-hikers camped w/ us:   Llama & 2nd Wind (from British
Columbia),  Iron Monkey & Catfish (from SC)...  They said my friend,  Brian
Brown is a day or so behind.. hope to see him Wed..They also said about 20
hikers were at Stehekin.  SUNDANCE 98er from the AT should be
here on Wed.
WED, 9-27: got up at 6am (note to LANDSCAPE, nothing has changed)  & drove
to Wintrop which is about 35 miles on Rt. 20 west of Rainey Pass..BTW: we
are camped about 1/2 mile south of the Bridge Creek trailhead..
Bought hotdogs & bread in Wintrop... Returned to camp at 10:30am & found
that PLATYPUS from Australia had already passed by..  Shortly thereafter the
following thru-hikers stopped to eat some hotdogs:  IDAHO BOYS,   EARTHDOG
and another EARTHDOG  - http://www.earthdog.org,  HOG who hiked the AT in
97...they left about 12:15...
13:30- hiking south i meet SUNDANCE & SIEMPER FI DREW, Sundance didn't
recognize me, we hiked back north to camp..
14:45- CASEY & TOBY showed up in camp also STITCH & PRETZEL, E-DOG, H, STONY
PETE, TAPEWORM, SLOPPY JOE.

17:00- H and I went to grocery store in Wintrop 'n returned to camp
about 20:00.  More thru-hikers in camp:  BLUEFOOT & JOHN.  Stayed up
around campfire till midnite eating smores.  BTW: SUNDANCE & SIEMPER FI
DREW,
CASEY & TOBY, E-DOG, STONY PETE,  SLOPPY JOE hiked north about 17:00 to
do 4 or 5 more miles, SUNDANCE needs to meet parents at Manning Park on
Sat.

THU, 9-28:
up at 5:40am to start fire for breakfast.  We had 2 doz. eggs,  sausage,
hash browns, toast, cinamon rolls & OJ, STITCH was the cook.  Thru-hiker
RICH (he started at Campo, May 21) came in about 7:30 for breakfast, we aim
to please.  It is now 8:45 and everyone has gone, of course H was the last
to leave.  It is much warmer this morning than yesterday, probably 35
degrees while today is bout 45 - 50 degrees.  It is now 9:30 and I am
sitting by the trail (30 yds. from camp) waiting for NOBOers to share our
remaining food: oranges, sausage, hot dogs & chocolate chip cookies.  We
will leave camp by 11am so we
ca be on the road to Settle by noon.  Weathercarrot is here in camp w/ me
and LAURA has gone for a dayhike up towards Cutthroat Pass, we will meet her
at Rainey Pass trailhead.  We hope see yall at Govt. Camp for
the Gathering.  We will leave Seattle Friday in the am.  WARNING:  I heve
learned a valuable bit of trail knowledge concerning campfires & the info
is:  a fire on old decayed soil may start an UNDERGROUND fire, I
am glad that PRETZEL & LAURA pointed out the above to me.  We have moved all
the hot rocks & dosed the hot embers w/ at 10 gallons of water..
Hey, I also want to thank my sister-in-law for the use of her car, "thanks
sis ".. w/o the car i wouldn't be writing this e-mail while sitting on the
PCT.

13:03-well we are 50 miles east of I-5 and should be in Seattle by 17:00..

17:00 - we  are in Seattle...

1)Sep 29, 30, Oct 1- at Aldha West Gathering at Mt Hood.
http://gorp.com/nonprof/aldhaw/
2) Oct 6-8, Aldha Gathering in Athens, WV-  http://www.aldha.org
--Dave Atkinson  - Fannypack - 96GA2ME - http://hikercafe.com