[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[at-l] Earl Shaffer's Poem
- Subject: [at-l] Earl Shaffer's Poem
- From: John O <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:38:17 -0400
- Cc: BackpackingLight@onelist.com, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Earl will be going to Millinocket, ME and then on to Athens, WV for the
Gathering <http://www.aldha.org/>. This poem was given to Buzz Caverly in
appreciation of his help while at Baxter to climb Katahdin for the last
time. Earl woke up at 4.30am the morning after climbing Mt Katahdin in
1998 and wrote this poem by flashlight.
You love it and you fear it
It is big and harsh and high
A mass of ancient granite
Towering into the sky
From the Indians who revered it
To the climer of today
A symbol of a spirit
That can never pass away.
Earl Victor Shaffer
Earl's & his brother John will have t-shirts and sweatshirts with a picture
of Katahdin that John took & Earl's poem printed on them. He'll have a
supply of them at Millinocket and at the Gathering.
"You can observe a lot by watching"
* From the AT-L | Need help? http://www.backcountry.net/faq.html *