Re: [at-l] Who is Gathering?

In a message dated Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:56:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Linda Benschop" <lvb@mindspring.com> writes:  This will be my first Gathering.  Can any of you "old-timers" tell me what
the food/drink situation is there?

First, welcome back, Linda!  Your life has taken a remarkable turn for the (much) better!

Two years ago there was a pizza restaurant in Athens, but it sure looked tiny. I don't remember seeing any other place to eat that was remotely close.  Athens is so small it makes Damascus look like New York City.

I think several people are planning to bring their own food/do their own cooking because the food line in the campus cafeteria was painfully long two years ago.  If you can hold off and get your food late in the dining period (or rush to be very early), the line is a whole lot shorter.  The food is pretty typical campus fare--don't expect haute cuisine!

We have decided we'll stick with eating in the cafeteria  for one big reason--you see more people!  Meals are a great chance to sit down with old friends and catch up. We attend every talk/presentation we can fit in, so the meals are our real chatting times.

One solution might be to have some no-prep things like bagels, summer sausage, cheese, fruit, drinks, etc. in the car so that you can run out and grab your own food if the cafeteria line looks like the line for Space Mountain at Disney World.

Maybe someone else has some other ideas.

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com