Re: [at-l] Conversation with Datto / Choices

In a message dated 9/13/2000 6:22:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
Debbie_Smith@Millipore.com writes:

<< I know I'm explaining this badly... >>

Not at all.  I related completely with a lot of what you said...feeling ready
to have the hike be over (at least at times) during the last quarter of the
trip...the incredulity I felt that so many people were actually leaving the
trail in the northern part of it...the extreme hunger in Maine (I wasn't
eating every 2 hours...but I WAS getting up in the middle of the night and
having another full meal).

But I found that the exhaustion during that last stretch was much more mental
and maybe emotional than physical.  Sure, I had bad days (physically).  In
those cases, I just quit early and called it a short day (one of those ended
early at Dizzy B's at Atwell Hill Road; that's how I remember her privy so
well <g>).  But a half day of rest always helped immeasurably; and I felt
very physically revived.

Rather, I found the last stretch to be mentally grueling.  I was READY to go
home.  I missed my daughter horribly.  I was looking forward to the creature
comforts of home again.

My observation was that most of those who quit in VT, NH, and ME were very
physically able.  In fact, they were often the youngest, strongest, most fit
people out there.  But (and no offense to the younger people on the list and
who have thru-hiked), maybe -- in part -- because they were young, they
didn't always possess the mental fortitude to gut it out when they were
exhausted.  It was easier to quit for them than to go on -- despite the lure
of Katahdin and what they had accomplished so far.  A wise hiker told me that
it is sheer will power that gets most thru-hikers through Maine.  I believe
it.  It's that kind of mental strength that one has to tap over those last
few hundred miles.

Just my 2 cents.

-- Walkabout GA>ME '99