Re: [at-l] Pepper spray

A Snarl Over Bear Repellent Leaves Consumers Confused. The Washington Post,
April 12, 1999, pA9.

An elk hunter was charged by a grizzly bear in Wyoming's Bridger-Teton
National Forest. The hunter discharged a can of bear spray, but the bear kept
charging.

Another hunter shot the bear as it was mauling his friend. A closer look at
the label on the can of spray revealed that it was a product intended to stop
human beings and not a 400-pound bear.

The Environmental Protection Agency is trying to clear up the confusion by
requiring all manufacturers to register their products for the first time.
Thus far the EPA has certified four sprays and is in the process of
developing its enforcement plans. But consumers need to be aware that
many unregistered products are still on store shelves.

This link has a list of EPA has certified bear sprays.
 <A HREF="http://www.epa.gov/unix0008/news/news99/real_htmls/bearspry.html">Re
gion 8 Press Release - EPA orders halt to s...</A>

Wildbill