[at-l] Pepper spray

I just bought a small cannister of pepper spray (10 % pepper).  Would
this be effective to use on black bears, or would it just make them
mad?  As I read the label, I wondered if this is just for self-defense
against humans.  The other Blister Sister has been hiking alone  in
N.C., close to north Georgia where some trails have been closed due to
bear encounters. When she said she had seen bear scat, I suggested she
get some pepper spray, but she said the local outfitter didn't carry
it.  Which is why I stopped on my way home from work, in Cheyenne, WY,
to get some to send to N.C.  Should I bother? Any advice?  Thanks.
    B.S.