Re: [at-l] Hiking and Thyroids...

Congrats on getting a diagnosis and intervention. I'd like to add that the
problem is fairly complex and that there is much complaint regarding
physician overuse of thyroid screening tests, even though thyroid pathology
can mimic many other illnesses. It is usually diagnosed after failure of
the "obvious" diagnosis, with some controversy over which numbers are
important or impacted by other conditions and medications. There is even
some issue over which thyroid hormone is appropriate for replacement therapy.

The response can also be a problem. Adjusting thyroid hormone can be like
turning a battle ship. Initially nothing appears to happen, and then it is
easy to overshoot the goal. Excessive thyroid can be life threatening, even
if caused by good intentioned treatment. You are correct that it tends to
be seen as a "girl thing" as we male physicians are fairly quick to
consider hormone abnormalities in women, while there is some stigma to such
consideration in men.

So the take home message is that this can be a problem that will stump the
diagnostic acumen of many a physician. Deal with a real world doctor for
such concerns.

OrangeBug