[at-l] Trip Report

Today was a day where I was remind why I hike. It is not for the good
phyiscal condition that hiking leaves me in  , it is not for saying "I've
been there, done that, have the t-shirt".  It is for something more,
something intangiable.

After getting some 'brownie points' by working on a SATURDAY (double
edged sword when you are decent at your job. :D), I wanted to head to the
mountains today.

So head to the mountains I did.  Mt. Audubon in  The Indian Peaks
Wilderness to be specific.  The Indian Peaks are less than an hour from
Boulder. So you have these gorgeous mountains next to an area with a high
portion of phyiscally active people. Makes for a busy area.  But I was
counting on the cooler weather in the mountains cutting down on the
crowds.

Arrived at the trail head parking lot to find a nearly full lot. Ack!  So
much for my theory...(or so I thought. After hiking up and down the
mountain today, seems most of the people hiked around the lake...)

Having done most of my previous backpacking in the Whites, crowds are
just something I accept.   So I shouldered my pack, and off I went.

The day was beautiful. The first hint of fall starting to come to the
high country with the aspens beggining to turn yellow. Fall has always
been my favorite time to hike. Something magical in the air during fall.
The trail is kind, a little over 2000' feet elevation gain in 4 miles.
Before I knew it, I was above treeline.  Could see some peaks with a
covering of frost. Winter is not too far away.  As I climbed up the
mountain, something happened. A sense of euphoria came over me. Maybe it
was the gorgeous weather,  or the joy of being outside. (Maybe it was
lack of oxygen, Mt. Audubon is at 13000'+ afterall. ;-D).   As I
approached the summit, all my sense seemed to scream "I'M ALIVE".  The
strong gusts felt fierce of my face, the peaks I could see seemed very
sharp, the sky extremely  blue. The spruce and lodgepole pines were very
pungent on the way down back to the trailhead.  I was just bowled over at
the summit. A camera does not do justice to what I saw today.

So a good day of hiking. Sure, the views were great, the day was
gorgeous.  But more importantly, felt a contradictory sense of well being
and excitement. I am not religious, but being in the moutains seems to be
spiritual experience where so many different feelings flood the senses...

The true harvest of my life is intangible... a little star-dust caught, a
 segment of the rainbow which I have clutched.
-- -Thoreau
multipart/alternative
  text/html
---