Re: [at-l] hanging hammocks

One can choose many ways to hang a hammock: the goal is to put the two rings at each end level, so that center of gravity and the center of the hammock remain in the same spot. You can achieve this with different lengths of rope/webbing at either end.  I've hung my hammock over creeks and over various types slanting terrain without a problem using this rule of thumb.

You can actually sleep ALMOST level lying in the hammock at an angle  considerably less than 90 degrees to the two ends, depending on how long the hammock and how taut you've hung the hammock.

Actually, were there hooks for hammocks in a shelter, the shelter could shelter more people than just the floor space, but I've not seen a shelter yet equiped to take a hammock. And most people are likely not to trust someone staying in a hammock and sleeping above them without substantial experience with hammocks.

I agree with you on the differences between Mayan and US hammocks. I've found a company that makes a Mayan hammock from a nylon string for backpackers ... I haven't bought one yet but I have my eye on it. The claim is that it weighs around a pound, if my memory serves me ... (don't hold me to this!)

Most good backpacking hammocks take up less space than a pad and certainly less than a pad and a tent when you cover the hammock with a tarp. My elcheapo solution, $13 "marina" hammock from Wally World, and $12 tarp from the same source compares, space and weight wise, favorably with any tent and pad I've yet seen ... with one important exception: during winter you need a pad to stay warm in your sleeping bag lying in the hammock.