[at-l] Section 10C

I greeted a total of 101 hikers and 10 dogs along the AT/LT as I hiked south
from Rte 103 to Mad Tom Notch with the majority along the Griffith Lake area.
Why does everyone hike north?  Is the magnetic pull of the north pole?

Recap:
Friday: It was a very muggy and hot day, summer finally arrived in Vermont on
September 1st.  After leaving ORR, Ben and Micah at the Mill River suspension
bridge, I met up with two NB thru hikers at Minerva Hinchey Shelter, no trail
names, but I'd christen one Grumpy and one Cordial. As I passed through
Patch's Hollow I looked for the old homestead foundations hidden by chest
high weeds.  Did you know a man was murdered in Patch's Hollow in the early
part of the 19th century?  To the west of the summit of Bear Mtn I greeted
Frustrated Irishman and his buddy Pat, and then a group of backpackers from
Spring Lake Ranch out on a therapy hike.  Shortly thereafter I met Lolo and
trail dog Fritz.  On to the parkinglot and home for the evening.

Saturday: I suggested and Cobweb agreed upon meeting on Sunday at Mad Tom
Notch.  I changed my plan of doing the HATT section as day hikes and packed
up the Exocet for an overnighter.  It was a sunny and less humid day. Saw
tons of day hikers around Little Rock Pond and several dogs.  One UGLY
rottweiler had me frozen in my tracks as I waited for its UGLY owner to call
it off and take control of the snarling dog.  Along the way I met northbound
thru hikers Pushma, Pullya of VA and Bearclaw from MI.  I arrived at Lost
Pond Shelter at 3:30pm and heard thunder in the distance.  I decided to stay
at the shelter.  It started to rain around 5.  Around 8, NB thru hikers
Animal and Blueberry showed up. They had climbed Baker Peak during the height
of the storm, Yeehaw.  It was a peaceful night listening to the rain on the
shelter roof.

Sunday: A misty morning and sunny afternoon.  Tons of campers around Griffith
Lake, "Step Upon the Bridge of Rocks, Keeps the Water from my Socks."  Found
a lady's indiglo watch with a broken wrist band in front of Peru Peak
Shelter.  On Peru Peak I met up with 3 backpackers, one was the owner of the
watch. There was a garter snake in a fir tree at the open ledge on Style's
Peak (pictures to follow).  I reached Mad Tom Notch and greeted Cobweb for
the final handshake.

It was a great weekend.  Looking forward to next year's HATT. Yes, I have
pictures.

Cin
HATT '00