Re: [at-l] Making a tent fly

I used velcro on my tent flaps and mesh and have had no problems with it
separating in winds. Perhaps velcro has improved over the years.

Also, use silk pins to baste seams (don't sew over them, they break needles).
In many places I used silicon glue to baste with, and sewed right through it.
Anyway you look at it, silnylon is not much fun to sew - too thin, it gathers.
I used a fine needle, #70 I think. I put gussets in all corners and stress
points, and anywhere I planned a snap or grommet. I sewed in light webbing
where tent poles were attached.

Use GE Silicon II thinned 50% with mineral spirits to seam seal. Use your
finger to apply ;) - rub in well.

The people at Quest in Florida were helpful with advice.

- Gary from Fairfax