[at-l] AT-O INFO

OK....we've got you interested...

One of the basic conflicts regarding the AT-O Trailguide, is how much
info is too much.  Personally, while I want to know everything
there is to know about the towns and services, I want the Trail
to unwind before me as a series of a million surprises.  I can't
imagine what it would be like to stumble onto the ponys if I
didn't know they were there.  Or "discovering" the perfect
spot to pitch a tent for a sunrise view.

But the Trailguide isn't about what I want.
Lots of people have really importantreasons for more info.
Grandparents taking grandkids or anyone with a newbee in tow.
Maybe a guy wants to intice a special someone into backpacking
and thinks a sunset camp or a swimmin' hole may help cinch the deal.  Plus, part
of the unofficial mission of the AT-L email list is to be a help to the newbees.
Without the experience to deal with the
unexpected or the legs to out-hike problems, more knowledge gives them more
power to have a sucessful hike.  Plus some people just like to know as much as
they can before they go.  Go figure <big grin>!!

To this end, we plan on featuring three "buttons" for each section
of the Trail.  Click on one or more and you'll find....

1)  JUST THE FACTS ...featuring the bare necessities of water and
shelter and trail.

2)  I WANT MORE .....gets into more of the esthetics of views and
swimmin holes and blueberries <grin> as well as the agony of a
long rocky downhill.  We want pictures of the shelters and the Trail
here too!

3)  TELL ME A TALE...will be where people can post journal tales
centered around a section or shelter or whatever.

We hope this will offer people just as much info as they want
without spoiling any surprises.  Of course, a bit of self
discipline will be needed not to click for more info but self
discipline is a good thing to cultivate <VBG>.

But the grandma who_really_needs_to know that there is no flat
land to be found for the next 8 miles before she takes her little
grand daughter on an unplanned forced march that turns her off
to hiking for good will have the info to let her decide to switch
to a a section with lots of campsites available and maybe a swimming
hole to boot!

OK...before I bore you to tears....
Pittsburgh has already divided the Trail into sections for the
HATT Hike and to make it easy for you all, we will be using the
same sections on AT-O.  The next email contains a questionare.
It's designed to span the distance from shelter to shelter from the
beginning of each section to the end.  I'm sorry I can't
tell you how many forms/shelters for each section.  Maybe next HATT <g>!

It's pretty comprehensive, for those future grandma/grandaughter
hikes, but don't feel you have to fill in all the blanks.
Naturally, the more completely you can fill out the forms the
more info we have but no way am I gonna ask someone to add
miles to their hike to check out a shelter that's .6mi off trail or
likewise a spring if they don't need water.  Of course if you want to
that's GREAT!!! But any info..even the basic facts will be a big help.

You may be wondering what good this info will be without mileages.
It's true, we can't issue you each a wheel to measure distance but
you can say that the spring shown on the map about a mile north
of the shelter is dry but the one about two miles further on is
running.  I can't tell you how many requests for up to date
water info come across AT-L each year.  It's even been a topic
here on the HATT list.  To have good info on water sources will be
a great asset for all of us and this will be a fabulous start.

We've tried to set up the next email as a form to either print
out and fill in as you go or fill in from your journal or notes
at home.  And PICTURES!!!  Especially of the shelters and those
hiking partner bait otherwise know as views!  Don't worry if
ya don't have a scanner....we do!!!

We know it's unlikely that you'll be hitching into town during
HATT, but if you happen to spend any time in town pre or post hike,
we'd be glad for any info you gather.  Same goes for parking spots
and paid shuttles.

Welll that's the deal.  If lots of HATTers pitch in, we can have
this info up and available for all time.  We hope you think it's
a good enough deal to make it worthwhile adding a few oz of paper
to your pack.....(Quiet John O <g>).  And that it might add a tiny
touch of extra purpose to your hike. Just don't let it be a drag
on you.  This HATT Hike is still about fun!  Maybe do a little
good for furture hikers or for your future hikes at the same time.
Thanks everyone!!!!