[at-l] Three Day Hike in the Whites Day 1

My older daughter Darcy had been asking me about doing a backpack together
for a few months.  So we found a time spot Aug 21-23 to do a loop in the
Pemigewasset Wilderness of the White Mountains National Forest  (WMNF).

Monday 8/21/00  Guyot Campsite

    Darcy arrived last evening with a rented sleeping bag (EMS), new but
cheap boots from KMart, and two huge packages of gorp.  I loaned her some
synthetic clothing including a shirt and longjohn bottoms and rain coat and
nylon pants.  I provided a backpack borrowed from the school outing club
equipment.  We packed her stuff in the backpack and then adjusted the straps.
 We went to bed setting the alarmclock for 6 AM.
    This morning we were on the trail by 8 AM.  We parked the van in the
Lincoln Woods parking lot just off the Kancamagus Highway in the WMNF of NH.
By 10 AM we had walked 4.7 miles along the Wilderness Trail to the
intersection with the Bond Cliff Trail.  We spent a little time fine tuning
the adjustments to Darcy's pack.  This section of trail is along a old
logging railroad bed that parallels the East Branch of Pemigewasset River.
It has an elevation gain of under 100 feet in 5 miles.  The trail is wide
enough for 4 people to walk side by side.  It is under a canopy of green so
thick that the sun rarely shines through.  We met many people heading out
along the trail, including a group of tired middleaged men and a young
energetic women dressed in park ranger uniform.
    We took a break about 10:30 for lunch.  We were passed by two women and a
dog named Ruby.  Darcy was very surprised to see that Ruby wore a pack.  We
leapfrogged this trio several times during the next 3 hours.  Finally we
caught up with them at the wall that required a 12 foot scramble without
backpacks.  The ladies offered to help us with our packs since they were
already up the wall.  I accepted their offer.  Once on the wall we stopped to
talk awhile.  Ironically they were having trouble with their Whisperlite
Stove.  I offered to help they fix it when we reached Guyot Camp.  (Did the
same thing in July at the same camp.)
    From this point on the trail goes above treeline.  It is great.  My knee
felt a little sore after the wall but we made good progress toward the summit
of Mt Bond.  The sky was clear.  We could see Mt washinton and Franconia
Ridge, and all of the great views of the Whites.  We took many breaks to
admire the views and to rest from the steep climb.  Mt Bond is close to 5000
ft.  We started at 1000 ft.  Most of the Climb was on the second part of the
Bond Cliff Trail.  After a short descent from Bond we made it to Guyot
Campsite and found all tent platforms were taken but there was room in the
shelter.  We shared the shelter with 9 others including the two ladies with
Ruby.  By 7:30 we had eaten Mashed Potato and Beef Jerky dinner, cleaned up
and ready for the sleeping bag.  Darcy was tired, sore, and asleep by 8 PM.