Re: [at-l] lightning question

In a message dated 08/27/2000 0:51:36 AM EDT, pvillen@imap1.asu.edu writes:

<< Not having a death wish--or  even wanting curly hair--I came back
 inside. So here's the idiot question: Can I safely go near the pool
 under the circumstances described above? I'm expecting a big, fat "no,"
 but I might get lucky here... >>

Lightning has been known to hit up to 10 miles from the Strom.

The following is from the National Lightning Safety Institute. Check out
there web site.

Wildbill

LIGHTNING SAFETY AT SWIMMING POOLS
( Applies to Indoor and Outdoor Pools )

Lightning’s behavior is random and unpredictable. We recommend a very
conservative attitude towards it. Preparedness and quick responses are the
best defenses towards the lightning hazard.

Swimming pools are connected to a much larger surface area via underground
water pipes, gas lines, electric and telephone wiring, etc. Lightning strikes
to the ground anywhere on this metallic network may induce shocks elsewhere.

The National Lightning Safety Institute recommends the following

Swimming pool safety procedures:

1.Designate a responsible person as the weather safety lookout. That person
should keep an eye on the weather. Use a "weather radio" or the Weather
Channel or other TV program to obtain good localized advanced weather
information.

2.When thunder and/or lightning are first noticed, use the Flash-To-Bang
(F-B) method to determine its’ rough distance and speed. This technique
measures the time from seeing lightning to hearing associated thunder. For
each five seconds from F-B, lightning is one mile away. Thus, a F-B of 10 = 2
miles; 15 = 3 miles; 20 = 4 miles; etc. At a F-B count of thirty, the pool
should be evacuated. People should be directed to safe shelter nearby.

3.Pool activities should remain suspended until thirty minutes after the last
thunder is heard. The distance from Strike A to Strike B to Strike C can be
some 5-8 miles
away. And it can strike much farther away. Why take a chance with lightning?

Please re-print & distribute.
Prepared by the National Lightning Safety Institute, Louisville,CO.