RE: [at-l] A question

Sue writes >> I was supposed to be on the AT/LT for a week. Had to limp off
after 4 days of
hiking due to nasty blisters. Now- I always thought that blisters were a
part
of hiking, as I have always gotten them. But I am slowly realizing (talk
about seeing the light of day!) that many people don't get blisters. So ---
help! <<

Sue,

As someone who hiked 700 miles this summer with major blisters, I may not
seem too qualified to answer your question. In fact I was voted in as the
worst feet on the PCT this summer. However, the next 1200 miles passed
without blisters so I must have done something right.

There never seems to be an easy fix to blisters. We've all got different
feet and what works for others won't necessarily work for me. Unfortunately
you'll need to work out what's causing your problems with a great deal of
experimentation.

In my case I changed the type of socks I wore, how frequently I changed
socks, my insoles, the tightness of the laces, my hiking style and finally
my shoes. It turned out to be my shoes, though I could have sworn they
weren't the problem. So I suffered through daily pain with lots of drugs for
700 miles because I was too cheap to change my shoes simply because they
weren't worn out yet.

Yea, I know it sounds stupid but hey education is never really easy. I spent
more money on hotels, during my layover days trying to get my feet healed to
the point where the pain wouldn't drive me crazy when I left town, than on
the shoes that worked for me. Still I persisted in hiking with the wrong
shoes.

Not that your shoes are necessarily your problem. Just remember to be
flexible and try different things. Eventually you'll find a solution that
works for you.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
PCT 2000 - http://www.fallingwater.com/pct2000