Re: [at-l] Bee Stings

First, your real world doctor knows a hell of a lot more about you and the
relative strengths and weaknesses of treatment options for you. Yet for all
treatment and medications, there are contraindications and side effects.
For instance, people drown in water, yet we tell you to take your medicine
with water.

Grab your excessively conveniently available PDR and read up on the drug.
Worshippers of the PDR, turn to page 257 of the 2000 PDR, we find in the
Book of Dey Pharmaceuticals, Chapter 1 of Epipen and Epipen Jr. The key
problems occur in inappropriate use or by patients inadequately trained in
the use of the injector. I would expect the usual "fright & flight"
reactions of adrenaline.  Yet there will be the rare but dramatic events of
cardiac arrhythmias, cerebral hemorrhage, pulmonary edema, and other
complications, These are unlikely to occur in a healthy fit hiker who
remembers how to use the kit. But the fact that you do not recall a similar
discussion from your real world doctor illustrates how hard it is to hear
and recall all the things we throw at patients, particularly after they
have had the fright of their life! Obviously, I suspect your good doctor
told you more information, particularly that there was more risk of demise
from the bee sting than from the treatment.

Plus there is some controversy regarding such interventions, but little
opportunity for double blind studies and consensus. Would you want to be in
a study where you receive a yellow jacket sting on the top of Mt. Albert
with a 50% chance of receiving Epipen or a placebo?

The point is to stay cautious, avoid stings, wear the appropriate clothing,
keep your first aid kit well stocked and current, and let your hiking buddy
know of this risk for you and how to assist if necessary. And remember to
stock plenty of Gatorade powder!  ;-)

OrangeBug