Re: [Fwd: [at-l] lessons learned? (long)]

Cosmo Cat writ:

> 1. Even small mountains are steep.

But, they're only steep for a small thyme. The way I try to look at climbs is
thusly: The worst climb on the Trail is less than 4 miles (I have no idea if
this is accurate or not. It probably is though). At one mile an hour, that is
less than 4 hours. So, more than likely, the worse-case scenario is 4 hours of
work. I think I can handle 4 hours of work. On top there is a rest and an
accomplishment to enjoy.

> 2. "Hiking into shape" is willful self deception.  One doesn't have
> to be a marathoner, but a reasonable amount of daily exercise makes a
> big difference.

This should be true of all people. Not just folx prepping for a hike. Our
society has become soft and grossly out of shape.

> 3. Youth is wasted on the young.

Not all of 'em. Just the ones that waste it.

> 4. The weight you carry isn't always in your pack, and cannot be
> measured with a scale.

Was Pokey hiking with you??? :-)   This statement is the basis of the "More
head than heal" reality of hiking. I think that the weight that isn't in your
pack can be just as positive as it is negative. When you stand at the base of
a climb, it is easy to dread the fisical exertion it is going to take to get
to the top. Or, you can think about the fact that you are getting fisically
stronger by doing so. You can think of the accomplishment that awaits you on
top. Be proud that you are doing it instead of reading about someone else
doing it. Or, don't think about anything. Somethyme, that's a good thing, too.
(Though, what I think about when I think about nothing is something to be
afraid of.)

> 5. Have a plan, but don't let it spoil your day.  This is one I'll
> probably never really get.  Planning is what I do for a living, it is
> the framework of how I manage my life.

Then, plan on changing your plans. Have a plan that you are able to surpass.
Have an idea of what you want to do. Plan on enjoying it, and do what it takes
for that to happen. It's all good if you let it be. (Like, why not just pitch
your tent and spend a few days in one spot? Reading and exploring, etc. Of
course, the honey-do would have gone by the wayside. You may not have felt
like the trip was as disappointing.) Just a thought...(was it?)

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98