[at-l] lessons learned? (long)

Well my friends, this is the story of the hike that didn't happen.
In it our hero learns a few lessons.  His original intention had been
to "thru hike" Massachusetts.  His personal schedule caused him to
set some goals that proved to be unrealistic.  His six day hike was
to consist of the following days:

1-10.3 miles Undermountian trail to Hemlock shelter
2-14.3 miles Hemlocks to Tom Leonard
3_10+ Tom Leonard to Goose Pond (w/drop box @ Tyringham PO)
4-17.4 Goose Pond to Kay Wood
5-16+ Kay Wood to Nark Nopel
6-12+ Mark Nope to home.

Not too excessive (he thought) except for days 4 and 5, but the
terrain there is pretty flat and he'd done it before 2 years ago.

He had been out twice earlier that summer on 1-3 day hikes, and had
done trail work on most very Saturday in June and July.  However, the
rest of the time was spend catching up on work (professional and
domestic) and due to many other factors, his regular bike riding and
eating routines were not followed.  Folks, he was out of shape.
Still, he'd never had a problem beforeŠ

8/15
I bribed my son to drop me off at the trail head Tuesday morning
about 10 am.  It had rained heavily the night before and the woods
were like a jungle.  As soon as I started to climb, my glasses began
to fog up.  Soon I was hiking without them.  As the grade got
steeper, my thighs began to tire, and as the sun got stronger, sweat
poured off.  By the time I reached Riga Junction and the AT, my pants
were soaked from the waist to the zip off legs.  I remarked to myself
that a month off of bicycling proceeding this hike probably wasn't
the best preparation.

Turning right and heading north on the AT I managed to make it to the
summit of Bear Mt (Conn). And took the pack off for a rest and snack.
Took some pictures of the view and the monument up there.  Also
snapped a pix for the thru hiker that had arrived while I was resting.

The topography of this section of Mass is typically "whalebacked",
the south slopes of mountains are fairly long and relatively easy
grades, while the north slops plunge steeply onto plateau, then
plunge again to stream bottoms.  North of the summit was no
exception, it was very steep going down for the first 1/2 mile,
several times I had to turn around and go down hand over hand.

As a consequence of our extremely wet summer (now over 12" above
normal rainfall to date) the rocks were unusually slippery, covered
by a thin layer of slime/moss.  Most outcroppings had paths worn into
the duff at the sides of the trail.  This season will be responsible
for much trail widening.

Moving slowly, the schedule began to twitch in the back of my head
along with the concern abut my unexpected fatigue and breathlessness
on the ups.

Eventually the trail grade moderates and I reached the descent into
Sages Ravine.  Passing through the ravine was quite lovely, water was
gurgling everywhere, though the stream was easily fordable.

"Welcome to Massachusetts" the sign said.  I began the long up hill
on the south side of Race Mtn.  Stopped for lunch at the still
pretty, but over-used Bear Rock Falls Campsite.  I forced down my
beef jerky, cheese and trail mix, emptied my internal bladder and
refilled my Platypus.  (I have a nifty little adapter that joins the
Sweetwater directly to the Platypus hose).  After the exchange of
fluids, I headed on up the mtn.

Folks this mountain is not steep on the south side.  The climb to the
cliffs is steady, but I'd never found it particularly demanding
before.  During the several pauses for my breathing to recover, I
tried to quell the concern that was setting in.
You know, one of the things I liked about hiking was the chance to
let my thoughts roam, but today, I had to fight to prevent them from
returning to the topic of speed/schedule.

Breaking out of the trees onto the cliffs of Race took my mind off my
troubles.  The day was a bit hazy, but not enough to detract from the
panorama spread out on my right. A breeze was blowing, the raptors
were patrolling above and alongside me and the dragonflies were
patrolling the footpath.  Grasshoppers were constantly springing up
in front as I made my way through the grass and rocks at the cliffs
edge.  I really love this part of the trail.

Arriving at the summit, I could look back at Bear Mtn and ahead to Mt
Everett. I was about halfway thru my day.  Pictures were taken, and I
began my descent into the next ravine (Race Brook).  Again, steep
slippery rocks were the first order of business, then as the dwarf
pines and blueberries gave way to hemlocks and maples the path again
moderated, before dropping down to a confusing junction with the Race
Brook Trail.  Fortunately, I had been this way before and knew where
to look for the white blazes.  Unfortunately, I also knew what was
ahead of me over the next 3/4 of a mile.

The NB AT up Everett starts out on soccer ball sized cobbles and then
transfers to smooth, sloping rock face.  It was difficult going.  I
was beginning to panic.  At one point, I had to sit down, stop crying
and tell myself out loud. "Don't Panic".  It's weird, the shelter was
only about 2 miles away--I knew I was going to make it there long
before dark--but the growing knowledge that I couldn't manage six
more days of this was overwhelming.  Jeez, why can't I just live in
the present?

As I was literally stumbling up the hill, promising myself a rest at
each blaze, down the trail come a young couple day hiking, one pack
between them.  Pleasantries were exchanged--I guess--though I'm sure
my face must have been beet red, and the wild look in my eye somewhat
disconcerting.

Finally the trail levels out and I reach the summit.  Still a nice
day and a good view back from whence I came.  Doesn't look that bad
from hereŠ

I chatted with a couple of NB'ers re-shouldered my pack and started
down the trail to cover the last mile to The Hemlocks.  I came to a
nice outlook and I could see tomorrows landscape.  "Maybe I can do
this", I thought.  Amazing how different one's attitude is when the
path is sloping AWAY from you.

The Hemlocks was lovely, we had finished it about a year ago.  I was
good to stay here and remember the friends who had helped to build
it.  There were a number of NB'ers staying there that night, some who
had been out of touch since Virginia.  4 Bears was throwing a BBQ for
his trail mates; some of the hikers there included: Arrow, Blue,
Jolly Rancher and Moxie.  Although they were friendly, I was
definitely not one of the club.  Kind of like going to your wife's HS
class reunion.  One advantage of not going to the BBQ was being able
to get to bed early.  I really needed to think about my options.

8/16
After a intense downpour between 5 and 6am, I got up, packed quietly,
drank may Tang and had a breakfast bar and was on my way by 7.  I'd
decided to keep going and see how I did.  The days trip was a bit
over 14 miles, over mostly level terrain.

The woods were dank again after the AM rain.  It was so wet this year
that some of the "puddles" on the footpath had frogs living in them.

The descent off Jug End was very steep.  I was impatient, thinking
about how much more was remaining in my journey.  Of course I slipped
and landed right on my pack (fortunately, my pole straps were on and
I didn't loose them).  Just a slight twisting of the knee, it only
hurt when I bent it past 90*.

Onward and downward I finally got to Jug End Rd and the flat.  The
mosquitoes and deerflies were persistent, but I was moving fairly
quickly, and by regularly wiping my ears and arms I was able to avoid
most of the bites.  However, even slight uphills made me pant.

Just before Kellogg road, I began to work a blister.  Now I've been
hiking for 10 years now and I've never had a blister before.  At the
road crossing, I stopped and changed to my dry sox, and put a piece
of duct tape over the hot spot.  Shared some snacks with NB'er Happy
Hiker and moved on.  The sox and tape did not help.  I got to Rt 7
limping, there was no way I was going to climb over June Mtn and then
up the bluff to the ridge where the shelter was located.  Well I
probably could have, but what about the next 5 days?  Sorry to say, I
just wasn't that driven.  It was time to give up.  I was beaten.

A week later after some very thoughtful days at home working on my
"honey-do" list (much to the surprise of my wife) I draw the
following conclusions--many of them probably obvious to this list,
but nothing like a personal example to bring them home...

1. Even small mountains are steep.
2. "Hiking into shape" is willful self deception.  One doesn't have
to be a marathoner, but a reasonable amount of daily exercise makes a
big difference.
3. Youth is wasted on the young.
4. The weight you carry isn't always in your pack, and cannot be
measured with a scale.
5. Have a plan, but don't let it spoil your day.  This is one I'll
probably never really get.  Planning is what I do for a living, it is
the framework of how I manage my life.  For me, it will take a
different kind of exercise to deal with this one.

Chagrined, a trifle embarrassed, but a bit wiser,

Cosmo