Re: [at-l] Not EXACTLY Trail Related

Orange Bug wrote:
> I will probably do a  boring
> meal of Lipton's Instant Noodle Mystery (what was on the label?) and
> maybe, if weight allows, a frozen steak or 2 with instant mashed
> potatoes for the first night.

One of my favorite meals while hiking this year was a version of
shepards pie.  I dehydrated Hamburger w/ Onions, mixed veggies, bought
some dehydrated mushrooms.  vacumm sealed all separately as well as
small amts of spices, dry brown gravy mix, instant potatoes.  Put it all
in one ziploc and it was extremely lite.  In my re-hydrating container,
dumped in the meat, veggies, mushrooms & extra onions  with water to
cover and more, then let sit for around an hour or 45 minutes. ( did
this meal when decided to stop early at Overmountain shelter and enjoy
the view ).  Dumped it in my cookpot and brought to a simmer.  Cooked
until everything warmed and seemed rehydrated, added the spices & gravy
mix, cooked until thickened, then heated some water and did the potatoes
in my pot lid and spooned over the gravy / meat mixture.

This was awesome!  It tasted sooo good, and had several people looking
over my shoulder asking for tastes.  Ended up giving away some of the
meat topping cuz it made sooo much.  Even tho it may sound like lots of
cooking, it really wasn't.  Everything re-hydrated quickly and fully, so
it was very much a heat & eat meal with only cooking to make the gravy
thicken and heat water for potatoes.

Cheerio GA-VA 2000
--
Paula