Re: [at-l] The Whole Access Problem

Most of us are aware of the spaceship landed on Clingman's Dome. This
odd expensive spiral ramp gets just about treeline to allow anyone who
can walk or roll up there see about as much and as little as they could
see at Newfound Gap. It could be uglier, but it does not greatly impact
the AT as it passes the area. I would be nice if the sort of money that
built it were available for trail development and maintenance.

In this day of balanced budgets, decreased support for basic medical
care of the elderly and disabled, and high price tags paid with little
question for entertainment and military - the ADA seems far less
powerful and threatening than I would gather from our list. Since
Medicare limits PT and OT service to a cap of $1K per year, I think the
groups able to struggle up the paved path to Clingman's Dome will
dwindle.

It will be interesting to hear what us Boomers and the X-ers will feel
about the access issue in another 15-20 years.

Bill.....