Re: [at-l] Graymoor---

woodelf@juno.com wrote:
> What's the market value of memories?
Nothing.  Sorry, cruel facts of life.  My memories, as precious as they
are to me, have value only to those closest to me, and thats limited.

>Someone posted eminent domain wasn't stealing is was a function of the >government. Being a fuction of the government doesn't make anything >right.
True enough, but it does make it legal (there are exceptions).

>As a land surveyor I have delt
> with the results of eminent domain for years and can't remember a > single time the victim was happy with the results.

There probably aren't any; otherwise we wouldn't need ED.

> Try to put yourself in the place of the owner who's property is being > taken. Except in rare instances when the public health is at extreme > risk (ie Love Canal) eminent domain is wrong in my vision of America.
Your postion is very legitimate (although wrong, imho).  You're for ED,
but only in cases of extreme rish to public health.  The public, acting
through their government(s), has decided that that's too high a
standard, and that if we're going to have things like schools, roads,
parks, dumps, trails, power lines, pipe lines, etc. (endless list), then
a lower standard is needed.

--
James P. "Jim" Lynch, jplynch@crosslink.net