Re: [at-l] The Whole Access Problem

In a message dated 8/18/00 9:18:03 PM, hopefl@juno.com writes:

<< I've never been to Mt Washington yet, but I get the idea that the AT
passes over blacktop road, railroad and under a sky tram en route to the
top. This is fine. >>

Thanks for your comments.  I fully agree.  This is insignificant to your
arguement, but the AT actually does not cross the pavement that carries cars
up the auto road on Mt Washington and there is no sky tram.  However, you
must risk injury to climb over the railroad tracks with no effort made to
assist hikers across this obstical and you must share the summit building
cafe and gift shop with those who rode the train or an auto to the summit.  I
enjoy talking with the folks that did not hike up the trail.  I joke with
them about their effortless ride to the summit.  After a weeklong backpack to
reach the peak of Mt Washington a tourist asked me if I would take his
picture as he stood by the summit sign.  I told him I would not since he had
not hiked but I would let him take my picture.
                                Art