[at-l] Re: SVEA123

It was my first stove, although I never was as proficient with it as I
would have liked. (The wife and kids trashed it after their alarm over the
initial lighting procedure). I don't think you particularly need the pump,
but it can help in low fuel situations.

It works by heating the gas to increase pressure and to make the liquid gas
turn to vapor for combustion, essentially like a carburetor. Whether or not
you have a pump, you must start a small fire on top of the fuel tank. You
could use grass, twigs and other tinder, the fire starting gel (I never
have seen it) or a splash or 2 of gasoline. Most of us do the later option,
which creates a spectacular flash and flame, as well as "Oooh's" and
"Aaaah's" and "Somebody call 911!" When the flame dies down, just like with
the MSR Whisperlite, it is hot and charged up and ready to blast (putting a
match to the burner area.

The cooking kit has always been a selling point, but tends to be a solo
set. If you ever burn a dry pan, you will have hell finding a replacement.
There are lighter and more brainless kits, but fewer that are less
expensive. A similar kit is a Coleman that looks very much the same but not
an attractive brass. If you have the bucks, consider the SnoPeak and it's
accessories.

OrangeBug