[Not the Center for ATML Venting] Svea 123R

--- Glenda Hubbard <glenhubb@juno.com> wrote:
> Someone suggested my looking into a SVEA 123R stove.  I like what I see
> because it is lightweight and comes with its own cooking pot.  I don't plan
> on taking anymore cooking utensils than what I would use...one pot to heat
> water.  My question is do those of you that use this stove also use the
> pump
> that comes with or can be bought seperately?  At one site you can buy with
> pump for $78.00 and at another without the pump it costs $65.99.  Will I
> really need the pump?  Need advice.

I used a Svea 123R on my '79 throughhike; after extensive gear-weenie-ing, it
would have been the stove I would have taken on a four-person year2000 hike
as well. I use it to this day, with (at this point) perhaps 2500 miles, plus
camping (500"miles"?) on it.
Pound for pound, I think it's a tremendous stove.

But if I were doing the AT solo......... I'd do the homemade alcohol stove.
I'm building a larger "family" size stove now -- just drank the Fosters last
night -- and I'm going to try it during the HATT hike in two weeks. Will have
me boysens too, so I'll be cooking for three.

Never did the pump thingie, never seen anybody with it, and the only time the
SVEA ever mis-behaved was when it was over-pressurized by using a
wind-blocker while boiling a boatload of water. (The arching napalm-style
flames issuing from the pressure-relief valve in the gas cap were mesmerizing
in their beauty....)

There's my vote: SVEA or alcohol.

Sloetoe
(who's going to call RamBunny's parents
tonight and buy hers (she's now using the
alcohol stove) as advertized in the ATN.)

=====
"A man who is not a liberal in his youth has no heart.
     And  a man who is not a conservative in his maturity
   has no brain."         W.Churchill

Call me 'middle-aged.'    T.McGinnis