RE: [at-l] Wilderness & Disabled from New York Times

I, for one, applaud them for their accomplishment, just as we have applauded
Bill Irwin. The trails are there for all to enjoy and experience, whatever
their abilities. It also shows that we don't have to reconstruct trails to
the lowest common denominator. But it does say that when we have a choice in
our construction methods and it is not a significant extra cost, we should
make the trails more accessible. Many times it just better construction,
e.g. graded switchbacks instead of a direct assault, dips instead of water
bars, etc. These are already in the trail construction books as preferred.