Re: [at-l] Co-opted credit

In a message dated 08/14/2000 2:15:57 PM EDT, Rcli3@aol.com writes:

<< I don't think I want to defend WF but you are taking what was said out of
 context.  He was looking for a way to distinguish between hikers that hike
 from Maine to Georgia (2000 Milers) and those that hike the entire trail.
 Walking by every white blaze in a true purist way.  Weather he is right to
 want to do this is open for debate.  I don't think his intention was
anything
 other than to distinguish between purist and 2000 milers.

Hiking from Maine to Georgia (2000 Milers) and hiking the entire trail is the
SAME THING.
IMO. This intention is too get attention to himself. His ideal is not needed
or want my most hikers. The Appalachian Trail Conference confers the "2000
Miler" to hikers who report their completion of the Appalachian Trail. It is
to bring hikers together NOT to make difference CLASSES of hikers. No other
award is neeed!!!!

There no such thing as a "true purist way". Most are only hiking for the
enjoyment it gives each of us, NOT because we can get a 2000 miler rocker.

If people LIE to get a 2000 miler rocker, they will also LIE to get WF award.

I have hiked it three time, a thru-hike, and a yo-yo hike (thats two
thru-hikes back to back) They were done for myself. Does it feel good when
someone says, something like you did good ect.Yes it does, But, do I need it
to fell good about what I did? The answer is, NO!!!

Wildbill
GA to ME 89
GA to ME to GA 92-3