[at-l] Pack before and after

>A special challenge to the Thruhikers on the list
>to list their staring list AND their ending list.
>I've always wanted to see what 2000 does to a pack's
>contents <g>

Quite a bit! After humping a pack over the Appalachians for 2000 miles, I
know deep down how much ounces can make a difference!

So, I will start with this interesting premise:

BEFORE I DID THE AT (this is from memory, but it should be correct)

Pack: EMS 5500 (1996 version, the newer versions are even heavier!)
Bag: Feathered Friends Humingbird
Pad: Full Lenghth z-rest
Tent: Walrus Swift/ with ground cloth

Clothing (worn): Scrub shirt, nylon swim trunks w/liner cut out,  Wool
socks, polypro liners, bandana
Boots: medium wt leather boots (Cresta hikers, then Asolo 535s)

Clothing (carried): Lt weight polypro top, lt weight long underwear
bottom, wool socks, polypro liners
                               Polypro boxers (for sleeping), fleece
socks, fleece balaclava, fleece mittens, 2 scrub pants
                               1 scrub shirt...all this was  in a stuff
sack

Fleece jacket, Poncho, Boonie hat

Whisperlite Stove, 22oz fuel bottle, 2 qt stainless steel pot w/lid,
lighter, lexan spoon,

MISC: Packcover, 50' rope, Minimag (AA) light,  swiss army knife
(tinker..the in between model), map, compass, guidebook, pen, paper for
journal, small first aid kit, sm. extra bandana, sm roll duct tape,
paperback book. polar pure

3 1QT Nalgene bottles.

The one time I weighed this pack w/o food and water, it was 26lbs (that
was in Boiling Springs).

Now, two years later:

Pack: Camp Trails Scirroco 55 (a discontinued model), with alum. stays
removed
          3/4 length Z-rest functions at the stay
Sleeping Bag: Same
Shelter: 6'X8' Nylon Tarp, rope to set it up, mosquito netting,  ground
cloth

Clothing Worn: same

Boots: Fabric/Leather ones

Clothing carried: same EXCEPT for wool mitten, wool hat, windpants,  NO
scrub pants, and it is now in a plastic garbage bag instead of a stuff
sack

Fleece Jacket,  rain jacket from Sierra Sport (8-10 oz?), boonie hat

Homemade alcohol stove (2 oz?), Mtn Dew bottle for fuel, lighter, lexan
spoon, 2 qt aluminum pot,  8 oz yogurt cup for my hot drink

MISC category is the same except that I now use an Orange photon light.
Naturally the weight varies depending which book I bring, and for weekend
trips I do not have a guidebook, and only sometimes do  bring  my journal

2 1 Qt Soda bottles, Nalgene Canteen

New base weight: 16 lbs

I know there are more ways to eliminate weight, but I like my book and a
hot drink, and I get cold feet (hence the fleece socks for at night).
This wasn't a request to tuckerize :), but to see how one person's
(namely me...)
gear can evolve as they gain experience and/or comfort with less.
multipart/alternative
  text/html
---