Re: [at-l] Refugees and the AT

"James P. Lynch, III" wrote:

>    Some of the recent posts suggest that the AT-L needs an authoritative
> voice of the AT of its own.

Hmmmmm..I think someone may have a comprehension problem,
(maybe me,,,maybe you).

I took the author to mean that the AT hiking community
needs another spokesman.....one who represents the
'greater hiking community' not just this list.  AT-L and ATML,
are the mainstays of the small but growing, on-line AT
hiking community. While most of us feel a family feeling here
we also feel an attachment to  the "greater hiking community"..
We don't feel we are the center of the AT universe.

The "greater hiking community" is composed of the maintainers and
hikers. I maintain a trail (not the AT)and in the last three years,
even with a busted foot and knee woes, I'll bet I've spent more time
on the AT than Dan has (if you ignore the fact that he lives in a Trail
town).

Maybe that's the point.  Along with ATML's growing isolation goes
Dan's isolation.  He has chosen to remove himself from the rest of
us and more importantly from the Trail or at least the hiking of it.

If you were a teacher, would you rather have the media consult
someone who hasn't taught for a decade, who's info is all
second hand?  Someone who has by choice isolated
himself from all teacher's organizations and associations?
Or someone who is currently teaching and actively
involved in all aspects of the teaching scene?

Better yet, respecting the knowledge and commitment that Dan brings
to the scene, wouldn't two voices, or three even bring a better
balance to the reporter's end result?  I think that's what SloeToe
had in mind.  We should not put all the AT eggs into Dan's
pack, especially since that pack now sits in a closet while Dan sits
at his computer.

"James wrote:

>    There is *no* reason that AT-L cannot generate one (maybe multiple!!)
> "authoritative AT persons."  But you do that through hard work, putting
> in copious amounts of time and energy, and constructive activity, not
> through tearing someone else down.

Would that that were true <sigh>.  The modern media is lazy or
constricted by time and budget.  Why else do we see the same people
addressing the same issues over and over throughout the media.
It seems to me that there is some giant roladex, issued to all
reporters with a standard list of "who to go tos" whenever they
need an interview and under AT, is WF and little else.  Maybe there is
no one else to match Dan's zealotry but is a zealot's voice
the best or the only voice to be heard?

I think the SloeToesee bemoaned that their was no one from the ATC
or ALDHA in that rolodex.

"James P. Lynch, III" wrote:
>    I've heard a lot on this list about someone else's supposed
> weaknesses and failings.  My thought: so what?  There is nothing that
> someone on another list is doing that keeps anyone else from doing
> something good for the AT!

Your right!  Despite Dan's sudden refusal to allow us to share our
fund raising drive with the ATML folks, AT-L  with the help of many
of the other on-line forums and off line folks, did manage to raise
over 5 grand for the Place in Damascus.  We might have raised more, but
the rehab of a hostel which has been maintained for the use of AT hikers
for decades by a tiny church group in a tiny town didn't meet with Dan's
approval.  It wasn't a suitable use of his forum.  Perhaps he felt it
would drain money from the support of "The Center".  I don't know 'cause
he didn't tell me.  I had assumed he would be willing to allow his forum
to participate with the 'greater hiking community' in a cause that the
'greater hiking community' saw as worthy.  My error.

"James P. Lynch, III" wrote:
> The risk that AT-L runs is that it becomes
> an anti-personality forum for negative ends and not a positive
> constructive forum supporting the AT.  Earlier today there was a good
> post asking for support in building AT-L, hopefully there will be a lot
> of response and commitment (now there's a scary word!).

It's not AT-L...it's AT-O as in Online.  And of course I hope folks will
kick in and help.  But as POG said, no one here will demand that they
do.
They will not have to agree to post X amount of times per month as they
had to (in my last knowledge) in the planning forum of ATML.  What
AT-O will be all about is the Free Flow of Info...willingly shared for
the bennies of other hikers.  No Agenda and no more censorship
than is needed to keep my butt outta court <G>.  As to the level
of commitment, none of the folks involved are looking to emulate Dan.
The designers and programmers are making every effort to put it
together so it will need only scant attention to maintain it.
Believe me......none of us wants to sign onto Dan's life.  Such
devotion flirts with obsession and we don't wanna be obsessed
with a website.....Heck, we're already obsessed with the Trail (LOL)
and one obsession is more than enough <g>.

and in another post "James P. Lynch, III" wrote:

> There are opportunities for us
> to help each other, share trail stories, notify each other of issues
> (such as Saddleback), pass around book reviews and news articles, and
> encourage the community to grow constructively

Alas......that's the way it used to be before Dan began building
a wall....  Dan was a member of our family at one time. Some of
us thought him a friend or at least friendly.  I used to defend
him here!  But as his acts became more indefensible I stopped.
Soon after, I failed the loyalty test and got the boot. If there
is anger here, there is reason.  He has said terrible things to
many of us.  Maybe you have never gotten one of his private notes
but many of us have.  How would you feel if he told you that you
would never make it to Maine based on the fact that you didn't
follow his orders to the tee. Outrageous!!!!!!

It would be great if the two campfires could share as we used to.
Note that it's now 'one way'.  You are welcome to come here and
share what's going on over there and enlist our help in Dan's
efforts to serve the Trail.  But I challenge you to try the reverse.

Tell them about HATT
Post  http://friends.backcountry.net/hatt/

Promote the Gathering
Post ALDHA's Website. http://www.aldha.org/

Try to talk about the RUCKS
Post  http://friends.backcountry.net/ruck/

Sheesh......the only time the ATC is mentioned is when some brave soul
attempts to defend it against Dan's viscous attacks!!

And you accuse _US_ of blocking constructive growth?????

These events and organizations are prime opportunities for hikers
of all sorts to meet and share and learn and grow and have FUN.
Why are they subject verboten on ATML and TP?  Because if people slip
away from his campfire, to attend one of these events, they slip away
from his control and hear other opinions and get other ideas and
participate in the Free Flow of Info with the greater hiking community.

At least that's my take..can you come up with another explanation?

AAAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHH.....it's almost ten on a SAT. and I'm sitting at
a computer?????   Wassa matter with me?????  OUTTA HERE!!!!!!