Re: [at-l] Hardtack - y

In a message dated 08/09/2000 11:36:17 AM EDT, thornel@attglobal.net writes:

<< Oh, you have an evil mind. I immediately thought of one sort, but decided
 hardtack would be more appropriate. BTW, I hear a few bakeries have started
 making this staple for Civil War soldiers, once again. I wonder if it would
 be good emergency/hiking food. Anyone with experience >>

1st Congress, 1st Session
That, by the act of Congress, of the 31st July, 1787.
That each non-commissioned officer and soldier is allowed, annually, one suit
of uniform clothes, as follows. One coat, 1 vest, 2 pairs woollen overalls, 2
pairs linen overalls, 1 hat, 4 shirts, 4 pair shoes, 4 pairs socks, 1 stock,
1 stock clasp, 1 pair shoe buckles, 1 blanket.

That each non-commissioned officer and soldier is also allowed one ration per
day, to consist of the following articles:
1 pound of bread or flour, 1 pound of beef or 3/4 pound of pork, 1 gill of
common rum.

To every 100 rations.
1 quart of salt, 2 quarts vinegar, 2 pounds soap, 1 pound candles.

War Office, August 8th, 1789.
/s/ H. Knox.

The bread was probably hardtack.

Wildbill